[syslinux] menu module behaviour for menu exit

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Apr 9 06:15:04 PDT 2009

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
>
>>  I was looking for a way to have a submenu go back to the previous menu
>>  when you use Escape inside the submenu. Or to return back to a menu when
>>  you return from a com32 entry (eg. kbdmap, hdt or rosh).
>>
>>  Is there a way to achieve what I want to do ?
>
> No, and I think it's too confusing.
>
> Just move your "main" menu entries to the top level.

Ok, when I nest the submenus, it works as expected. But the problem then
is that a "menu title" does not have ^Hotkey support like "menu label"
does. And I can also not indent the "menu title" entries in my main menu.

That is exactly why I decided to not nest the submenus (and use the top
level) because that way I can use "menu label" to jump to other menus,
indent them (menu indent), use hotkeys.

So I guess if I would nest them and have Escape return to the parent menu,
I would need to have "menu indent" work for menus (not just labels) as
well as have hotkey support in menu titles to get the same results.

Am I correct that both were designed to not work like I just described ?

Thanks in advance,