[syslinux] "keeppxe" broken in 3.74 - short-cycle 3.75

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Tue Apr 14 16:40:48 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:54 PM
Subject: [syslinux] "keeppxe" broken in 3.74 - short-cycle 3.75

> It appears that the 3.74 completely broke the "keeppxe" directive -- not
> due to the command-line parser, but due to mishandling of the flag later.
>
> I consider this to be severe enough to do a short-cycle 3.75.  As a
> result, I would like help with:
>
> a) are there any other bugs that snuck through?
extlinux --reset-adv is broken
It display the usage message (with --reset-adv include)
(syslinux installed directly using make install)

thank for MENU SAVE
That work fine but work differently from grub savedefault.

grub savedefault work under the title (grub)/label(syslinux) level when
extlinux MENU SAVE is global to the menu. So with grub, you could save some
selection and not some others.
This is not possible with MENU SAVE working globally.
That's not a big problem.

We have 4 labels on the menu and some of them may not need to save the entry
selected.
To be clear the menu look like that  ( MENU SAVE could be added anywhere,
before any label or under a label, the behavior is the same)

LABEL ipcop
  MENU default
  MENU LABEL IPCop
  KERNEL vmlinuz
  APPEND mode=normal initrd=ipcoprd.img root=ROOT_DEV ro panic=10

LABEL noacpi
  MENU LABEL IPCop (ACPI disabled)
  KERNEL vmlinuz
  APPEND mode=normal initrd=ipcoprd.img root=ROOT_DEV acpi=off ro panic=10

LABEL memtest
  MENU LABEL Memory Test
  KERNEL memtest
  APPEND -

LABEL rescue
  MENU LABEL Rescue
  KERNEL vmlinuz
  APPEND mode=rescue initrd=ipcoprd.img root=ROOT_DEV ro panic=10 nodma

There is no need in our context to save rescue or memtest label selection.

    Gilles