[syslinux] "keeppxe" broken in 3.74 - short-cycle 3.75

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Wed Apr 15 00:17:55 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com>
To: "For discussion of Syslinux and tftp-hpa" <syslinux at zytor.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:24 AM
Subject: Re: [syslinux] "keeppxe" broken in 3.74 - short-cycle 3.75

> Gilles Espinasse wrote:
> >
> > grub savedefault work under the title (grub)/label(syslinux) level when
> > extlinux MENU SAVE is global to the menu. So with grub, you could save
some
> > selection and not some others.
> > This is not possible with MENU SAVE working globally.
> > That's not a big problem.
> >

> Okay, you asked for it...
>
> Please test this patch and let me know if it works sensibly.  It was
> rather quick to write, but I don't have a lot of time to test it.  The
> quicker I can get feedback on it the more likely it is that it can make
> it into 3.75.
>
> -hpa

>   The MENU SAVE information can be cleared with
> - "extlinux --reset-adv".
> + "extlinux --reset-adv <bootdir>".

You fix the first cause of my mistake.
Was to late to understand usage correctly after having read in doc/menu.txt
to do
extlinux --reset-adv

menusave patch does not change the behavior (tested on 3.75-pre2)
Any entry selected is saved even without MENU under the label

The menu used is

DEFAULT vesamenu.c32
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 100
TOTALTIMEOUT 9000

MENU NOSAVE
MENU AUTOBOOT Starting IPCop in # seconds
MENU BACKGROUND splash.png
MENU ROWS 6
MENU TABMSGROW 21
MENU CMDLINEROW 21
MENU TIMEOUTROW 22
MENU COLOR tabmsg 1;36;40 #80ffffff #00000000 std
MENU COLOR sel 7;37;40 #ff000000 #40c0c0c0 none
MENU COLOR border 30;44 #00000000 #00000000 none

LABEL ipcop
  MENU default
  MENU LABEL IPCop
  MENU SAVE
  KERNEL vmlinuz
  APPEND mode=normal initrd=ipcoprd.img root=/dev/disk/by-label/root ro
panic=10

LABEL noacpi
  MENU LABEL IPCop (ACPI disabled)
  MENU SAVE
  KERNEL vmlinuz
  APPEND mode=normal initrd=ipcoprd.img root=/dev/disk/by-label/root
acpi=off ro panic=10

LABEL memtest
  MENU LABEL Memory Test
  KERNEL memtest
  APPEND -

LABEL rescue
  MENU LABEL Rescue
  KERNEL vmlinuz
  APPEND mode=rescue initrd=ipcoprd.img root=/dev/disk/by-label/root ro
panic=10 nodma

    thank again for the support

        Gilles