[syslinux] Returning to syslinux bootloader

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Apr 16 05:39:35 PDT 2009

Hi,

I was wondering whether it is technically possible to go back from eg. DOS
or Linux directly to the bootloader (instead of rebooting the hardware).

We currently have 2 images (one DOS and one Linux) that need to be started
before loading a system. They do things like disable PXE on NICs (using an
Intel DOS tool), verify the correctness of the network patchings and
validate if the hardware was configured according to corporate standards
(usage of PCI slots, hardware revisions and firmware).

But rebooting the hardware on certain devices takes a long time, if we
could go back to the bootloader it could be useful. Even when the hardware
may not be properly reset.

I noticed that HDT can exit and return to the bootloader without a reboot,
the same could be useful for memtest and some other tools that are not
com32 modules.