[syslinux] Returning to syslinux bootloader

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Apr 16 08:38:10 PDT 2009

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Erwan Velu wrote:
>
>> Any hints on how it could be done ?
>> At least, I could be interested in HDT being able to return to hdt after
>> running as external tool like memtest etc...
>
> You'd have to return all hardware and all BIOS memory to the state it
> was before the target was invoked.  The complexity of this depends on
> the target.  Linux, for example, is very complex.
>
> The clean way to do this is through the reset path.

So if this were to be implemented, syslinux needs to retain the memory,
and there would be a new syslinux API call for going back to that state ?

Instead of HDT taking care of this, it would make more sense that memtest
itself would perform the callback if it found syslinux hooks. And HDT
could replace the syslinux state by its own ?