[syslinux] Returning to syslinux bootloader

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 09:39:31 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Miller, Shao
<Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca> wrote:
> A very interesting discussion; I'm not fond of waiting for 5 ROMs to do
> their thing after every reset.  Sometimes, I'm not even using the
> hardware they initialize.

One thing I've noticed with the desktops and servers where I've worked
is that sometimes the ROMs can be disabled.  Changing a desktop with
an integrated NIC with boot capabilities such that the NIC is
configured not to utilize PXE removed the ROM load.  Note that this is
separate from the boot order and enabling/disabling PXE on that NIC
from the boot order.  I've also seen many Adaptec SCSI cards that
allow you to disable their ROM which disables booting from that SCSI
card.  On most of these SCSI cards it doesn't prevent the ROM from
stays in that ROM.

The brute force method would be extracting the hardware if not
utilized and removable.

-Gene