[syslinux] syslinux on kubuntu easy way?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Apr 17 20:46:09 PDT 2009

Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> Is there an easy way to use syslinux and use the normal kernel
> upgrades without having to edit files each time?

The trick is to get script to run when the kernel is updated.  It's
possible that dpkg has the ability to run a "hook" after a kernel
update, otherwise, there is always the possibility of running a script
from cron.

> Also the normal kubuntu kernel packages seem to come with symbolic
> links not supported by fat filesystem. Does anyone know an easy way
> around that? maybe using an overlay filesystem? I couldn't find what I
> was looking for on google. I would like to use syslinux over extlinux
> because it is easier to reset the syslinux partition back to the boot
> partition inside of windows on a reinstall of windows. And because I
> can edit the boot order from either windows or linux.

Well, worst case you can always have your script mirror the
Kubuntu-installed /boot directory into your Syslinux partition.