[syslinux] syslinux on kubuntu easy way?

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 21:52:59 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 9:46 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> Jeff Sadowski wrote:
>> Is there an easy way to use syslinux and use the normal kernel
>> upgrades without having to edit files each time?
>
> The trick is to get script to run when the kernel is updated.  It's
> possible that dpkg has the ability to run a "hook" after a kernel
> update, otherwise, there is always the possibility of running a script
> from cron.

I had found a way to run a script when the kernel was updated a while
back. I'll have to look at my other computer to relook at what I did.
I had it copy the newest kernel and the newest initrd to a 8.3
filenames however it would mess up on symbolic links. The next thing I
did was have it copy after it was done installing to the fat
partition.  Now that syslinux supports long filenames I might want to
give a new try at adding new kernels via full name to the syslinux.cfg
file :-D I was just looking to see if anyone knew of a more lazy way.
Maybe I'll have to perfect and publish my lazy way.

>> Also the normal kubuntu kernel packages seem to come with symbolic
>> links not supported by fat filesystem. Does anyone know an easy way
>> around that? maybe using an overlay filesystem? I couldn't find what I
>> was looking for on google. I would like to use syslinux over extlinux
>> because it is easier to reset the syslinux partition back to the boot
>> partition inside of windows on a reinstall of windows. And because I
>> can edit the boot order from either windows or linux.
>
> Well, worst case you can always have your script mirror the
> Kubuntu-installed /boot directory into your Syslinux partition.

That is what I have done in the past I'll see if I can find a better
alternative.