[syslinux] Some news about HDT

Erwan erwan at seanodes.com
Sat Apr 18 04:12:42 PDT 2009

While starting the earlier versions alone, Pierre joined quickly the
project giving a useful help on developing the missing features.
HDT is now integrated in Syslinux since 3.74 and regarding user's inputs
on it, it sounds HDT is answering some needs.
User's inputs are growing, many private mails were exchanged with
early-adopters, improving HDT's behavior on many platforms.

It's now time to give more structures to this project to ease its
development & increasing the community (users & developers).

Here come many goals I want to address shortly :

- having a dedicated mailing list not to 'pollute' the Syslinux one
Since yesterday, this is done.
I'd like to publicly thanks HPA for hosting my project on zytor and
sharing his great experience for managing the code, sharing ideas & his
incredible technical skill ;o)
The goal of this mailing list will be to discuss HDT's development,
doing support & sharing ideas.
Anyone interested in HDT is invited to join the mailing list :

- having an up to date web page to give information about HDT
I started naturally using Syslinux's wiki to host HDT's main page. It is
currently nearly up-to-date regarding the current versions.
At least, some efforts are still needed to make it more user friendly
and detailed.
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Hdt_(Hardware_Detection_Tool)

- having a roadmap to help users understanding what's next in HDT
This is clearly a 'pseudo' roadmap. This page intends to keep an updated
list of items to be done in the incoming releases.
Keep in mind that items can be moved/added/removed at any time but at
least, it should give a clear overview of what's coming next.
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Hdt_(Hardware_Detection_Tool)#Roadmap

- having a repository to put updated version of HDT between two Syslinux
release
Under investigations but will be done as requested by many users.

Once again, I would love to thank all beta-testers, reporters & of
course Pierre, for helping that project to grow.

A special thanks for those projects which integrate HDT as part of their
tools/product.
I'm maintaining a list here:
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Hdt_(Hardware_Detection_Tool)#Projects_known_to_use_HDT

See you soon on HDT's mailing list,