[syslinux] extlinux geometry issue

Dick dick at mrns.nl
Sun Apr 19 12:54:38 PDT 2009

Hi,

I've created a rPath appliance which boots from a USB memory stick.

Today I upgraded extlinux on my rPath appliance and the memory stick
froze the system during POST.

After a lot of trial and errors I found out this could be fixed by
wiping the USB memory stick and reproduced it by writing extlinux (3.72)
to the stick.

I finally found out how to fix this issue, by entering the correct
values for --sectors and --heads when installing extlinux.
So by using the default settings it froze my BIOS, and now it works by
using the values from "fdisk -l" (which are: 253 heads, 62
sectors/track)

The BIOS is Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG in a Shuttle Inc FG33. The
USB memory stick is a SanDisk Cruzer Contour 8GB.

Not related but might be useful, to boot from an USB stick using this
Shuttle disable 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc Boot Device from "Advanced BIOS
Features" (this is optional) and enable (enabled by default) Legacy USB
Boot (legacy??) in Integrated Peripherals / USB Devices. And, select USB
Harddisk mode.

I hope this issue can be fixed or someone could tell me what I'm doing
wrong.

Thanks in advance!
Dick