[syslinux] vesamenu.c32 broken? blame F10?

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Fri Apr 24 10:35:21 PDT 2009

Hello,

vesamenu.c32 from syslinux-3.75.tar.bz2 is broken in my tests with:
- qemu 0.9.1 -cdrom iso_image
- qemu 0.9.1 -cdrom iso_image -std-vga
- virtualbox 2.2.0 (Sun version)

It blocks right after showing the copyright notice.

I've since compiled the following versions in my machine, running Fedora 10:
- syslinux-3.63
- syslinux-3.72
- syslinux-3.73
- syslinux-3.75-143-g080bf56

I did a `make spotless && make' each time, always with the same result as
the one from syslinux-3.75.tar.bz2.

Which was odd, seeing as I had it working previously, so I started to
think maybe the problem was on my compiled versions. I went and tested
the following versions available on kernel.org:
- syslinux-3.74: locks
- syslinux-3.73: locks
- syslinux-3.72: locks
- syslinux-3.71: locks
- syslinux-3.70: locks
- syslinux-3.63: it vörks!!!

I was ready to give up and declare the culprit my kernel (2.6.30-rc3),
my distro (F10) and the phase of the Moon.

I'm still not sure it's not one of those three, as I'm almost
definitively sure it worked in a 3.7x.

I'll do some more tests, including in a different system, so as to
narrow the culprits.

All the tests were done with the isolinux.bin, menu.c32 and vesamenu.c32
from the same compiled version. menu.c32 always worked.

This started as a bug report, moved to a 'informative notice about
problems with vesamenu.c32 in Fedora 10' to a 'what's going here?!?'.

I'll keep the list posted with new developments, it might interest some
other people.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

--