[syslinux] gpxelinux and cramfs

Andrew Stuart andrew at shopcusa.com
Sat Apr 25 20:24:59 PDT 2009

Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Michael L Martin <mmartin at fuzzcat.net> wrote:
>
>> Everything gets delivered through the same mechanism. I didn't
>> write this code, but I do have to understand how all the pieces work
>> together.
>>
>> H. Peter Anvin wrote:

>>> I understand he wants to use a PHP script for the configuration file, and
>>> that makes sense.
>>>

> No he has the config file to point to the
> http://httpserver/imagefile.php This way there is only one config
> file. This is starting to make sense to me. The imagefile.php script
> will only output the binary file info depending on the ip address of
> the machine downloading it. This sounds kind of interesting and gives
> me ideas.
>
> I pretty sure you have to put the config file on the tftp server that
> the pxe boot gets its info from and then it can get the gpxelinux.0
> and the unified config file. I could be wrong.

Although a few days late, I still ask the question "Why?".

Unless you are manipulating the  image in stream, or gpxe doesn't follow
redirects, the following would be a 'better' approach?

// do stuff - get mac info..
$mac = 'abc123';
header('Location: http://localhost/$mac/kernel.img');

If nothing else, this is the route I was investigating when I started
playing with gpxe when it first was released.. although it didn't
support what I needed, and do to cuts I had to abandon the project.
Although I am still keeping an eye on gpxe

Of course, I realize I realize the OP did not design this, just has to
support it..

-A