[syslinux] memdisk issue with gpxelinux.0

pierre.gentile at mpsa.com pierre.gentile at mpsa.com
Mon Apr 27 02:01:13 PDT 2009

> I have to say that invoking a gPXE script from a comboot menu when
> you're running on top of gpxelinux.0 seems a bit overly complex, no?

Thank you for your answers, I have tried to call memdisk directly from
menu.c32 with the same result ...

My config is a bit complex because we're trying to create an alternative to
Rembo (Tivoli Provisionning Manager) already in production and provisioning
a lot of servers (windows included). And that without removing Rembo for
now

To do that we're using the redirection capability of Rembo to redirect to
out pxe server which launch gpxelinux with an embeded script able to
initiate a gpxe script on a web server. This script then execute menu.c32
with a php generated configuration :-)

Here is my embeded script for gpxelinux :

#!gpxe
imgload pxelinux.0
dhcp net0
set dns:ipv4 10.68.161.3 (needed but I don't know why because the dhcp
already gives us the dns information !)
chain http://reference-linux.inetpsa.com/init.gpxe

My init.gpxe:

#!gpxe
set 210:string http://reference-linux.inetpsa.com/
kernel -n menu modules/menu.c32
http://reference-linux.inetpsa.com/init.php?mac=${net0/mac}&manu=${manufacturer:uristring}&product=${smbios/1.5.0:uristring}
boot menu

The relevant part of  init.php:

label Rembo
  menu label Redirection rembo
  kernel /rembo.gpxe
  append ""

The rembo.gpxe file:

#!gpxe
kernel /modules/memdisk /freedos
initrd /freedos
boot memdisk

As soon as I have a working configuration I'll add an entry in the wiki
hoping it will be useful to others

Sorry for my poor english

Regards

Pierre