[syslinux] memdisk issue with gpxelinux.0

Miller, Shao Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Mon Apr 27 09:18:19 PDT 2009

Please don't get me started on that particular product...!!

Anyway, what you likely want to do since you are having problems, is use
PXELINUX' DHCP options to continue to use the HTTP provided by gPXE, but
still using PXELINUX as a middle-man for MEMDISK to work.

Take a look at syslinux/doc/rfc5071.txt.  Basically, do this:

Embedded script:

#!gpxe
dhcp net0
set dns:ipv4 10.68.161.3
chain
http://reference-linux.inetpsa.com/init.php?mac=${net0/mac}&manu=${manuf
acturer:uristring}&product=${smbios/1.5.0:uristring}

init.php will return a gPXE script based on your params, with the
default one like this:

#!gpxe
set 209:string menu.ini
set 210:string http://reference-linux.inetpsa.com/
chain pxelinux.0

Your menu.ini file should tell PXELINUX to immediately load
[VESA]MENU.C32 which will then reload menu.ini and offer the menuing
system.  Note that any relative (non-fully-specified) filepaths in your
menu.ini will default to being fetched via gPXE-provided HTTP and with
the 210 prefix you specified earlier.  Maybe your default will be
MEMDISK, since menu.ini can load menu.c32 by default (for pxelinux.0)
but have a [vesa]menu.c32-specific default, as well.

I _really_ wish you good luck with this one, because of this message's
first line.  *volcano*

- Shao Miller