[syslinux] Web Forum for SysLinux (Miller, Shao)

Aviad Raviv aviadra at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 00:37:16 PDT 2009

Hello, to quote another user, “long time reader (practically) first time
poster”.

First off I must say I am not a huge forums fan myself (That is why when hpa
declined boot-land’s offer I wasn’t surprised), however I do want to address
some of the statements I read here, and give my two cents.

“
There is another aspect to this, and that is that web forums suck for
searching... it is very fast for me to find things in my mailbox for this.”

IMHO you are forgetting that not everyone was in the mailing list from the
start, there for I for example cannot search for things that happened before
I joined and new users? doubly so…

So having even a sucky search engine is better than not having one at all.

“

I vote for the mailing list.
I have a dedicated email address for all my lists and it's so much
easier to search & I don't need to visit any site, the messages come to me..

Ryan

“

Dude, all forums have the ability to keep you in the loop by watching the
topics you replied in or have asked to watch and then all updates come to
your email.

Now for my own “pain”, I love getting the latest news (Google projects) and
updates (version changes) and owes (EFI support anyone?) straight from
the horses
mouth (the developers and hpa in particular), that is why I registered to
the mailing list.

That said, 99% of the time the messages don’t apply to me, as I know I will
never open the source code and fiddle with it… so all the code that’s flying
around in this mailing list is irrelevant for me, and I am left with the
choice of:

1.       Filter myself (from the long emails) what I want to read

2.       De-register from the mailing list.
As I said, just my two cents, I hope you will factor them into your
decision.
thank you, Aviad.