[syslinux] Web Forum for SysLinux

Jan Ploski jpl at plosquare.com
Sat Aug 1 12:16:30 PDT 2009

Hi,

The main "benefit" of a forum is that the owner can earn advertising
revenue from the web traffic (although it's probably peanuts given the
topic) and also sell the whole project to the highest bidder in the
future. Technical mailing lists hardly work in this way. I think that
this aspect hasn't been mentioned yet, although it *could* have been why
the web master came forward to make the offer in the first place. I'm
sure that propositions to link to the "unofficial" forum from an
official web site are also music to their ears because of the SEO juice.
To be fair, some web masters work out of love and passion, not
calculation, but as time passes the business-oriented approach tends to
prevail. Of course, all of the above is not a reason to reject the forum
idea outright, but it might be useful in making the decision.

Regards,
Jan Ploski