[syslinux] Web Forum for SysLinux

Jernej Simončič jernej.listsonly at ena.si
Sat Aug 1 14:14:13 PDT 2009

On Saturday, August 1, 2009, 2:26:31, Kim Mik wrote:

> Mailing lists:
> - If you are not registered on the mailing list, you can't reply to an existing message.

Depends on the mailing list setting.

> - You inbox gets 'spammed' with messages which doesn't interest you (you can unsubscribe,
>   but maybe you want to post again in the future). (Not what you
> want if you only want to solve your
>   specific problem)

Set up a filter to move all mailing list messages to a separate
folder.

> - In my case, some messages of the mailing lists go to the spam
> folder and they are only available
>   several hours after I have read them on the syslinux archives page.

Complain to your provider - that's not a mailing list issue, that's a
mail server misconfiguration.

> - I rather read the Syslinux archives because it gives a more
> hierachial view of the messages and responses.

Proper e-mail clients can thread messages, too.

[...]
> - If you aren't registered to the mailing list, it is a bit
> difficult to search for know answers (because you don't have all messages in your inbox)

I keep all the mailing list messages in the mailing list's folder, and
often search them for things I need to know.

> Webforums:
[...]
>  - Tread hijacking (especially with long existing treads)

Can happen with mailing lists, too.

>  - You only get notified when someone replies to your post.

Proper forums let you subscribe to any thread (though most will only
send a "new response" message for the first response in a thread).

>  - More "noobs':
>    * that ask silly questions (RTFM)
>    * that try to help you but that don't have any actual clue (depends on the forum of course)

Can happen with mailing lists, too.

>  - If topics aren't to large, you can view all responses on one page.

I don't really see much difference between Usenet and mailing lists. I
prefer both to forums because it's easier to follow everything in one
place, instead of having to visit several distinct webpages (for
different forums).

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

Washing your car to make it rain doesn't work.
       -- The Inapplicable Law