[syslinux] PXE + memdisk booting initrd=unattended/undis3c.imz

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Aug 2 02:29:41 PDT 2009

Op 20090801 om 19:32 schreef reg at krautmann.net:

> * I have a eisfair server http://www.eisfair.org with version 1.6.1 (newest)
> * I have a ISC-DHCPD 3 Server running
> * I have a TFTP Server running http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/network/tftp/
> * I have Samba installed and a DNS Server is running
>
> My dhcpd.conf looks like the following:
>
> PXE relevant things:
>
> DHCPD_PXE_3_NAME        =        test
> DHCPD_PXE_3_ACTIVE      =        yes
> DHCPD_PXE_3_KERNEL      =        unattended/memdisk
> DHCPD_PXE_3_INITRD      =
> DHCPD_PXE_3_ROOT        =
> DHCPD_PXE_3_APPEND      =        initrd=unattended/undis3c.imz
>

> The file "Default" (I think it is the syslinux.cfg file) looks like the
> following:
>
> #
> # Do not edit this file, edit /etc/config.d/dhcpd
> # Creation date: Fri Jul 31 21:24:53 CEST 2009
>
> DEFAULT test
> PROMPT 1
> TIMEOUT 150
> DISPLAY pxelinux.cfg/boot.msg
> F1 pxelinux.cfg/boot.msg
>
> LABEL test
> KERNEL unattended/memdisk
> APPEND   initrd=unattended/undis3c.imz raw
>

> Always when I boot my client (it already worked with this client !!!!!
> one year ago to last week till I updated my eisfair-server and my
> unattended.sourceforge packet to 4.8)
>
> I get the following messages:

> Ready................................OK
>
> and then nothing happens...it hangs.
>
> I even tried all memdisk version from 3.71 (which was working one year
> ago) to 3.82
>
> the result is, that the older memdisk version show the message I
> described already, and the newer ones are forcing my computer to reboot.

Please provide both messages.

> I hope that somebody could help me, because I am troubleshooting since
> one week already and have always the same problem

Smile, no one told that is it was easy.
Perhaps the eisfair project did, but I think they tell fairy tales.

Where I don't like eisfair hidding real configuration files
in their own "iceing sugar" config files, I will assume that eisfair
does work fine enough. ( Main reason for that assumption is that
I don't want spend time on something that is just a facade. )

> I get the following messages:

> Ready................................OK
>
> and then nothing happens...it hangs.
>
> I even tried all memdisk version from 3.71 (which was working one year
> ago) to 3.82

I do read that as only memdisk was changed and checked. If so, that is
the wrong approach.
Memdisk 3.71 should be used with pxelinux 3.71 and with a memdisk 3.82
is pxelinux 3.82 needed.

And for the working configuration from one year ago, was it working with
the same undis3c.imz as is used now?

By the way, where does the undis3c.imz come from? I'm asking because
the unattended-4.8.zip only contains a undis3c.dos file.

> Thanks in Advance

Please keep us posted how memdisk got undis3c.imz booting
or how the original problem was solved.

> Bernd (Best regards vom Germany)

Cheers
Geert Stappers