[syslinux] New MEMDISK-ISO

Miller, Shao Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Mon Aug 3 20:01:19 PDT 2009

For anyone wanting to boot an .ISO with MEMDISK:

http://git.etherboot.org/?p=people/andytim/syslinux.git;a=shortlog;h=ref
s/heads/memdisk-iso

NOTE: Your protected-mode OS (Windows, Linux, *BSD) booted from such a
MEMDISK will not magically find the MEMDISK image in RAM and use it as a
CD without a MEMDISK driver.  There are currently 0 MEMDISK drivers in
the field, but that might change someday.

NOTE: DOS is happy.

NOTE: An .ISO which itself loads a ton of stuff into RAM will
effectively use twice as much RAM; once for the .ISO, then again for
what gets loads from the .ISO into RAM for the to-be-booted OS.

H. Peter: If you feel like reviewing/merging, could I request that you
cherry-pick the commits instead of merging?  That would help me to
identify bugs in the future.  Thanks!

Enjoy!

- Shao Miller