[syslinux] Could not find kernel image : vmlinuz

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Thu Aug 6 23:41:09 PDT 2009

Op 20090807 om 08:31 schreef Sandeep Agarwal:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Geert Stappers<stappers at stappers.nl> wrote:
> > Op 20090806 om 14:06 schreef Sandeep Agarwal:
> >>
> >> Let me know if more information is required.
> >
> > The output of
> >
> >  ls -lA /tftpboot
> >

> # ls -lA /tftpboot
> total 8380
> drwxrwxrwx    8  root    root        4096   Aug  5 14:48    FC8_86_64
> drwxrwxrwx    8  root    root        4096   Nov  2  2007    FC8_i386
> -rwxrwxrwx    1  root    root     6606164   Oct  4  2008    initrd.img
> -rwxrwxrwx    1  root    root       16138   Aug  5 22:46    pxelinux.0
> drwxrwxrwx    2  root    root        4096   Aug  6 22:06    pxelinux.cfg
> -rwxrwxrwx    1  root    root     1927704   Aug  5 17:26    vmlinuz
> #

The next check does need a  thrid computer which has a TFTP client program.

- Leave server and client as they  are ( don't change the  configuration )
- Connect and configure the thrid computer in the same network as the
  other two
- TFTP get with the thrid computer these files from the TFTP server
-- '/pxelinux.0'
-- '/pxelinux.cfg/default'
-- '/vmlinuz'
-- '/initrd.img'

> # cat /etc/xinetd.d/tftp
> service tftp
> {
>         socket_type             = dgram
>         protocol                = udp
>         wait                    = yes
>         user                    = root
>         server                  = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
>         server_args             = -s /tftpboot -v -v
>         disable                 = no
>         per_source              = 11
>         cps                     = 100 2
>         flags                   = IPv4
> }

Please tell more about the TFTP server, such as home page  and version.

> also i tired to strace the process, i don't know if i was doing it
> correctly, but it showed that the file "vmlinuz" was opened but was
> never read. So I did tried changing the ownership of the TFTP folder
> (/tftpboot) to nobody and tried but the results where the same.

I think that strace was succesfull.

IMO is the error when pxelinux.0 is talking to the TFTP server.

Cheers
Geert Stappers