[syslinux] a Wireshark trace (without graphic environment)

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Fri Aug 7 01:29:59 PDT 2009

Op 20090806 om 23:00 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
> On 08/06/2009 08:01 PM, Sandeep Agarwal wrote:
> >
> > also i tired to strace the process, i don't know if i was doing it
> > correctly, but it showed that the file "vmlinuz" was opened but was
> > never read. So I did tried changing the ownership of the TFTP folder
> > (/tftpboot) to nobody and tried but the results where the same.
> >

> Again, a Wireshark trace to confirm would be good, but my guess is that
> the OACK packet gets sent but isn't received.  Why that is is another
> issue entirely...

run the program Wireshark  and  tcpdump text output was provided.

Tcpdump can write to a packet capture file with the option -w

Example <screenshot>
# tcpdump -s0 -w filename.pcap ether host  00:00:1b:39:57:b4
tcpdump: listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size
65535 bytes
^C14 packets captured
14 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel
</screenshot>

Addtional information:
 -s0
   snaplength,  0 meaning the complete packet  (instead of 96 bytes)

 -w filename.pcap
   write to file, file format is libpcap

 ether host  00:00:1b:39:57:b4
   to get only packets from or to the MAC address of the boot client

 ^C
   Control-C was pressed to stop network sniffing

Next step is putting filename.pcap somewhere online and publishing the URL.

Cheers
Geert Stappers