[syslinux] My last try to fix memdisk boot problem

Andrew Stuart andrew at shopcusa.com
Sat Aug 8 03:21:54 PDT 2009

reg at krautmann.net wrote:
--snip--
> AGAIN: It worked already with the same hardware....no changes

--snip--

> regards
> Bernd

Bernd,

Not knowing when the last time it worked was, have you ran memtest or
some other memory test? Have you checked to see if the system is
overheating (loose/bad fan/heat sink/clip).

I am more of a hardware guy, so I see hardware issue. Both should be
relatively painless to confirm, assuming the box is local.

Memory goes bad, fans fail, capacitors blow, in other words, 'no
changes.. that you are aware of'.

Hardware failure seems logical, if one assumes nothing has changed. You
didn't mention if you have changed any software prior to the breakage.

Was any software changed prior to things not working / before you
started making changes to configs and newer versions of memdisk? Also
you didn't mention that you used a newer version of pxelinux. Memdisk
MUST be matched with the same version of pxelinux, otherwise the results
are unpredictable.

Hope this helps,

-Andrew