[syslinux] "Boot error" message

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Mon Aug 10 07:34:19 PDT 2009

Selon lego lego <legox at mail.ru>:

> Hi! I use syslinux 3.71 to boot embedded linux based on gentoo. From time to
> time the "Boot error" message appears. So I have to reinstall the loader. I
> use the ext3, so the command i invoke looks like that: extlinux -i
> /dev/[partition]. What can cause such situation?

You did not give enought details of the context to understand what may happen.
Is the machine always properly shutdown?
Wich mke2fs version is-it?

Did you boot from real harddisk?
The hardware may not yet be ready sometime to boot from. In that case, hot
rebooting should be enought to boot again.

Gilles