[syslinux] com32 ssh/telnet support?

Ryan McLean pvtryan100 at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 12 02:20:38 PDT 2009

Alexander Clouter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Ryan McLean <pvtryan100 at googlemail.com> [2009-08-11 13:08:21+0100]:
>
>> Perhaps I am being stupid and if so please enlighten me.
>> Assuming that all clients have reserved IP addresses on the dhcp server,
>> surely it would be possible to have a com32 module that presented the
>> boot options to both stdout and also allowed connections via ssh.
>> After all for the system to get the files via tftp it has to have network
>> connectivity so one piece of the puzzle is there already.
>>

> Buy a 1U serial console server?  We use Opengear's kit which is nice and
> cheap, it also means that for the OS it's-self you get console action
> via SSH.
>
> For PXELINUX you can then just use the SERIAL feature.  The Debian
> netboot installation image is intelligent enough for you just to pass
> 'console=ttyS0,115200' and then you are off.
>
> Cheers

I'd never get sign off to spend unless it was £20 and even then it would
be unlikely as I would need several of them.
Though I will keep that in mind on the off chance I can squeeze one in.
How many serial connections does it support?
For my main cluster rack I would need 30 connections minimum.

Regards,

Ryan