[syslinux] com32 ssh/telnet support?

Ryan McLean pvtryan100 at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 12 03:27:41 PDT 2009

Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Ryan McLean <pvtryan100 at googlemail.com> writes:
>

>> Since we have so many child nodes I do not have enough SIPs to go
>> around so if I need console access to a node
>>

> If your child nodes are not manageable servers (like ordinary PCs),
> you are pretty much out of luck: you can't even power cycle them
> remotely without hardware hacking.
>
> Your next best bet is a serial concentrator.  Put multi-port serial
> cards into the head nodes, and wire up the childs.  Yes, this is
> double cabling.

I am trying to avoid extra cabling.
> Two-way network access to pxelinux would be somewhat complicated to
> add, but an output only network console, like netconsole in Linux,
> wouldn't be particularly hard.  Having a watchdog in the clients and
> access to the tftp server could get you a long way with this.

Interesting Idea.
>> I was thinking ssh/telnet access to the PXELinux prompt would be nice
>>

> Indeed.
>

>> as I could ssh to a node tell it to reboot and then connect to
>> PXELinux via ssh/telnet allowing me to choose one of my menu
>> items. Thus removing the need for the console access unless there
>> was a serious problem that I couldn't solve via ssh.
>>

> You can achieve the same by changing the default menu item on the TFTP
> server before rebooting the client.

I had thought of this, but I run the risk of a user rebooting one of the
nodes during the window that I changed the default
and then their node kicking off an auto reinstall / hanging at a prompt
waiting for me to do something.
It is unlikely but very possible.

Regards,

Ryan