[syslinux] com32 ssh/telnet support?

Ryan McLean pvtryan100 at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 12 04:33:47 PDT 2009

Geert Stappers wrote:
> Op 20090811 om 14:27 schreef Alexander Clouter:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> * Ryan McLean <pvtryan100 at googlemail.com> [2009-08-11 13:08:21+0100]:
>>
>>> Perhaps I am being stupid and if so please enlighten me.
>>> Assuming that all clients have reserved IP addresses on the dhcp server,
>>> surely it would be possible to have a com32 module that presented the
>>> boot options to both stdout and also allowed connections via ssh.
>>> After all for the system to get the files via tftp it has to have network
>>> connectivity so one piece of the puzzle is there already.
>>>

> There is nothing wrong with being stupid,
> the trouble only comes when one stays stupid.
>
> So start a project with the attitude of willing to learn.
>
> Yes, pxelinux.0 can do UDP networking.
> With gpxelinux.0 one gets a TCP network stack.
>
> In other words: The puzzle can be solved.

Hmm thinking about this some more.

Rather than implement a tcp stack we could just use UDP.

How about the following.
PXELinux goes to menu and listens on port 12345
I send a UDP packet from the tftp server saying what are your options?
PXELinux replies with 1...,2....,3...,4....
I reply with a confirmation that I recieved
WHILE response == false && menusend < 3
  PXELinux sends menu list.
I send command boot 1
PXE boots to option 1

Main problem I envisage is that this is insecure no password or password
in plain text. On the flip side is it really important after all
we are on a private network & worst case is that a malicious user could
rebuilt a system after sniffing the password.

Regards,

Ryan