[syslinux] com32 ssh/telnet support?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Aug 12 04:58:33 PDT 2009

On 08/12/2009 02:20 AM, Ryan McLean wrote:

> Personally I find serial to be outdated, it is getting rarer and rarer
> to get laptops with serial connections, which will soon make it harder
> for me to wander into the server room with my laptop and hook it up to a
> server. I do agree in an emergency serial can be invaluable
> but for day to day running I see no reason to use it. Especially since
> ssh doesn't even require that I am on site.

USB serial dongles are dirt cheap.

A lot of the things that have been asked for in this thread (like ssh
into the BIOS setup) simply is not possible without firmware -- and
sometimes hardware -- support.  For servers, there are things like HP
iLO and Dell DRAC, Intel has the Intel Management Engine/Active
Management Technology, and there is IPMI, all of which allow some kind
of console over the network (often simulating a serial port in either
hardware or firmware.)