[syslinux] com32 ssh/telnet support?

Erwan Velu erwan at seanodes.com
Wed Aug 12 05:02:00 PDT 2009

Ryan McLean a écrit :
[...]
> I was thinking ssh/telnet access to the PXELinux prompt would be nice
> as I could ssh to a node tell it to reboot and then
> connect to PXELinux via ssh/telnet allowing me to choose one of my
> menu items. Thus removing the need for the console access
> unless there was a serious problem that I couldn't solve via ssh.
>
> Personally I find serial to be outdated, it is getting rarer and rarer
> to get laptops with serial connections, which will soon make it harder
> for me to wander into the server room with my laptop and hook it up to
> a server. I do agree in an emergency serial can be invaluable
> but for day to day running I see no reason to use it. Especially since
> ssh doesn't even require that I am on site.

Hey Ryan,
On my side, I use the serial-over-lan feature on the included IPMI BMC
that my dell servers are running.
If your servers have some IPMI BMC (i.e all dell servers have one), a
simple configuration in the bios will redirect the console output to
your serial-over-lan feature included in the IPMI BMC. Thus, no more
cabling, everything is already included.

This technique allow you to configure/control from the bios until the
boot loader (pxelinux is this case).

Hope this helps,

--
Erwan Velu