[syslinux] com32 ssh/telnet support day dreaming

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Wed Aug 12 05:39:28 PDT 2009

Op 20090812 om 12:33 schreef Ryan McLean:
> Geert Stappers wrote:
>>
>> Yes, pxelinux.0 can do UDP networking.
>> With gpxelinux.0 one gets a TCP network stack.
>>
>> In other words: The puzzle can be solved.
>>

> Hmm thinking about this some more.
>
> Rather than implement a tcp stack we could just use UDP.
>
> How about the following.
> PXELinux goes to menu and listens on port 12345
> I send a UDP packet from the tftp server saying what are your options?
> PXELinux replies with 1...,2....,3...,4....
> I reply with a confirmation that I recieved
> WHILE response == false && menusend < 3
>  PXELinux sends menu list.
> I send command boot 1
> PXE boots to option 1

In a free society one is free to write such a program.

> Main problem I envisage is that this is insecure no password or password
> in plain text. On the flip side is it really important after all
> we are on a private network & worst case is that a malicious user could
> rebuilt a system after sniffing the password.

Mankind has solved that "problem" another way:

  Protect the mother very well while she is giving birth.

Other mammels have their own way when an one is born.

All do "known" that it is a critical stage in live.

When one has no safe place to install a new system,
one has other priorities then installing a new system.

Cheers
Geert Stappers