[syslinux] Incompatibility using pxelinux 3.81 or later and setupldr.exe from windows XP 32 bits

Thierry Bugier tbugier at yahoo.fr
Tue Aug 18 14:21:34 PDT 2009

I did 2 zip files containing each:
- a working tftp-root with syslinux 3.75
- a not working tftp-root wit syslinux 3.81

They have ben build and tested using the instructions given in my first
message.

The bug appears starting syslinux 3.81, NOT 3.80 (I tried too many versions)

The zip files are available here:
http://t.bugier.free.fr/tftp-root--fail.zip
http://t.bugier.free.fr/tftp-root--works-fine.zip

Remember that le file pxelinux.0 found in tftp-root--works-fine.zip is
not from syslinux: this is the startrom.n12 file from a xp cdrom
(/i386/startrom.n1_ expanded as startrom.n12 using cabextract). This
name let you not to edit your dhcp server configuration.

To Shao Miller:
I'm already building my RIS server by using Gianluigi's work. However, I
wish something similar to the multiboot dvd based on work from Flyakite
(http:// <http://flyakite.msfn.org/>flyakite.msfn.org/
<http://flyakite.msfn.org/>)

Each time the boot fails, the strange filename is exactly the same on
both my virtual machine an the real one.

The latest version of syslinux is not critical, I'm using syslinux v3.75
which gives me all features I need.

Hoping these files will be useful to solve the bug !

Regards,
TB