[syslinux] Incompatibility using pxelinux 3.80 or later and, setupldr.exe from windows XP 32 bits

Thierry Bugier tbugier at yahoo.fr
Wed Aug 19 14:17:24 PDT 2009

Good day Shao Miller
> Regarding the Windows XP RIS corrupt filename WINNT.SIF filename bug:
>
> I've already explained the bug and think it would be good for you to try
> out the latest PXELINUX.0 (compiled from the latest Syslinux in its
> project git repository).  You can get pretty close by using the link I
> sent before.

I will be very busy until next month. I'll try the latest snapshot.
> I personally think renaming startrom.n12 to pxelinux.0 is a bit silly;
> PXELINUX should be able to chain to the real startrom.n12 from a
> PXELINUX config-file or menuing system.  Employ pxechain.com, if need
> be.  This still allows you to leave your DHCP configuration intact.

I renamed startrom.n12 to pxelinux.0 only for the method decribed to
reproduce the bug, and to have as less as possible changes between the
working tftp-root and the failing one. The first using only microsoft
stuff, and the second using syslinux to build a OS chooser. Of course,
I'm building my production RIS server with better filenames.

> Don't know what else to offer you at this point.

I was only reporting this problem, because I not able to submit a patch
to syslinux. As I said yesterday, I found that syslinux v3.75 works like
a charm; this is a acceptable workaround, and using pxechain.com is an
other one.

Thanks to your very detailed post !