[syslinux] Need help tracking the spread of a BIOS bug

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Aug 25 21:25:50 PDT 2009

Help everyone... I need to track the spread of a BIOS bug.  One symptom
of this particular BIOS bug is that with pxelinux.0 from Syslinux
3.83-pre9, "localboot 0" works, but *if pxelinux.0 chainloads itself
first*, then "localboot 0" *does not work*.

I have reasons to believe this is a fairly widespread bug among newer
hardware (made in the last two years or so), and it is absolutely
critical that I get an idea for which systems are and are not affected.

If you can try the above experiment on as many systems as possible, and
email me the output of "dmidecode" and "lspci -vn" together with an
"affected"/"not affected" that would be hugely appreciated.

This is just a small symptom of a much more serious bug which is just
waiting to bite, but I think I have a workaround for it -- but I need
your help in understanding when the workaround can be deployed.

Thanks,