[syslinux] Need help tracking the spread of a BIOS bug

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Aug 26 08:54:46 PDT 2009

On 08/26/2009 02:40 AM, Jacek Kalinski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interesting in testing (over 12 different motherboards, processors,
> BIOSes), but could you please explain "pxelinux.0 chanloads itself"? Maybe
> a simple example?

Absolutely.  Consider the following configuration file:

prompt 1

label localboot
	localboot 0

label restart
	pxe pxelinux.0

Entering "restart" should simply cause pxelinux.0 to reload itself and
display the boot prompt again.

In the case of the BIOS bug in question, when used with 3.83-pre9,
entering "localboot" will work right (boot from disk), but entering
"restart" followed by "localboot" will cause it to fail.

NOTE: make sure you're testing with 3.83-pre9.  3.82 has different behavior!