[syslinux] Need help tracking the spread of a BIOS bug

Jacek Kalinski jacek at dyski.one.pl
Sat Aug 29 06:18:16 PDT 2009

On 26.08.2009, 17:54, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 08/26/2009 02:40 AM, Jacek Kalinski wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>

>> I'm interesting in testing (over 12 different motherboards, processors,
>>  BIOSes), but could you please explain "pxelinux.0 chanloads itself"?
>> Maybe
>> a simple example?
>>

> Absolutely.  Consider the following configuration file:
>

> prompt 1
>
> label localboot localboot 0
>
> label restart pxe pxelinux.0
>

> Entering "restart" should simply cause pxelinux.0 to reload itself and
> display the boot prompt again.
>
> In the case of the BIOS bug in question, when used with 3.83-pre9,
> entering "localboot" will work right (boot from disk), but entering
> "restart" followed by "localboot" will cause it to fail.
>

> NOTE: make sure you're testing with 3.83-pre9.  3.82 has different
> behavior!

Here are the tests (with pxelinux.0 from 3.83-pre9).
In my network all computers works with 'localboot' as well 'restart and
then localboot' (the same behavior).
I tested also "Shuttle MK35V" motherboard with BIOS 003 revision, but I
was no able to gather dmidecode and lspci results (this workstation is not
able to boot from USB) ;)

I have found only 1 computer, which is not working with localboot at all.
I placed it in "non_working" directory with info.txt

Jack