[syslinux] [Sugar-devel] Unbootable machine

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sun Aug 30 12:09:47 PDT 2009

On 08/30/2009 10:30 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Instead of "bootable on hardware that supports USB-FDD boot method" or
> "bootable on hardware that supports USB-ZIP boot method" or "bootable on
> hardware that supports USB-HDD boot method" - makebootfat creates sticks
> that are "bootable on hardware that supports either USB-FDD, USB-ZIP or
> USB-HDD boot methods".
>
> ...or, as Peter Anvin points out (if I understand correctly),
> makebootfat creates sticks that are "bootable on hardware that supports
> either USB-FDD, USB-ZIP or USB-HDD boot methods and does note choke on
> the combo tricks in the MBR cheat design".

One of my major concerns is that USB-FDD might very well still fail,
since normally neither EDD nor geometry query works on a FDD, and you
might find yourself dead in the water at that time, unless the BIOS
chooses the same geometry that your disk is using (this is presumably
the purpose of the fake FAT superblock.)