[syslinux] Possible regression in 3.83

Andrew Stuart andrew at shopcusa.com
Mon Dec 14 11:32:17 PST 2009

Hey all,

I recently updated to syslinux 3.83, I am getting machines rebooting or
locking after loading PC DOS. Most notably with Hitachi's Disk Fitness
Test (http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT) Version 4.16.

At first it was a trickle, and now it seems I am having the issue with
more hardware. I downgraded to syslinux 3.81, and everything is happy
again.

The Current hardware that seems to be repeatable across several machines
is a Dell Optiplex GX270.

I unfortunately didn't think to log the different machines that were
having these issues. I did not attempt to try raw/int/bigint/etc since I
knew this worked before, and I was pretty sure this model worked just fine.

Using pxelinux.0 / matched memdisk / tftpd-hpa.

I have access to these dells for a few days/week or so. If all else
fails, I can get an ip-kvm hooked up to one of these and give access.

What information would be useful to help track this down? I am short on
time right now, but my next step is to try and move between 3.81->3.83
and see if I can figure out what version introduced this failure

Thanks

-Andrew