[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.84 released
H. Peter Anvin
hpa at zytor.com
Fri Dec 18 15:57:40 PST 2009
Syslinux 3.84 has been released. This is a mixed minor new
features/minor bug fixes release.
Changes in 3.84:
* SYSLINUX: make the DOS installer work for MS-DOS 7.x/8.x
* HDT: updated to version 0.3.6 (numerous changes.)
* mboot.c32: now supports video mode setting if requested by
* MEMDISK: Fix floppy images of PC-DOS.
* MEMDISK: Add support for emulation of CD-ROM images; patch
by Shao Miller.
* MEMDISK: Comply with the Win9x "safe hook" standard,
allowing a protected-mode driver.
* MEMDISK: New "mBFT" ACPI table, by analogy with the iSCSI
iBFT table. This allows detection from a protected-mode
operating system without EDD support.
* 32-bit version of the gfxboot loader (gfxboot.c32), so far
experimental. This will replace gfxboot.com in the future.
* vesamenu.c32: new MENU RESOLUTION directive to set a screen
resolution other than 640x480.
* chain.c32: add support for loading isolinux.bin.
* chain.c32: make sure to always return to text mode.
* eltorito.sys: DOS driver for generic CD-ROMs; by Gary Tong
and Bart Lagerweij.
Description: SYSLINUX is a collection of boot loaders for the Linux
operating system which operates off Linux ext2/3
filesystems, MS-DOS FAT filesystems, network servers
using PXE firmware, or from CD-ROMs. The FAT
filesystem version can be installed from DOS, NT, or
It includes a sophisticated API for add-on "COM32"
modules, including a significant subset of the
standard C library.
It also includes MEMDISK, a tool to boot legacy
operating systems from nontraditional media like PXE
floppy install network ext2 ext3 pxe iso9660 cdfs
Author: hpa at zytor.com (H. Peter Anvin)
Maintained-by: hpa at zytor.com (H. Peter Anvin)
Primary-site: ftp.kernel.org /pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux
Platforms: DOS or Linux to install. Linux, perl and NASM 2.03 or
later required to build from source.
Copying-policy: GPL, MIT
This version includes gPXE, to allow accessing network
files via other protocols than TFTP.
Keywords: syslinux pxelinux isolinux extlinux msdos boot loader
More information about the Syslinux