[syslinux] Graphic boot ...

Erez Strauss erstrauss at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 10:36:24 PST 2009

Hi Peter and Group,

First, thanks for great boot system.

My goal is to create a boot process that is clean from any text
message and shows simple graphics at startup.
That graphic image will last until the X server is starting (with the
same background, might be with different resolution).
My reason is, that many end users prefer graphics on simple cryptic
text messages.
Messages will be presented to the user on two cases:
 - Error case - things messed up - no kernel, no initrd, ...
 - User selection is really needed (decision with no defined default)

So I started with the lss16 graphics, which is nice but limited to 14 clolors
I continued with vesamenu background - nice - but I still see messages.
I commented out few calls to writestr and writechr in the sources - no
more messages or menu.

The problem I have now is that before loading the kernel the graphic
menu returns to text mode (blank dark screen).

How can I tell the vesamenu sub-system not to return to the text mode?

Any help will be appreciated,

If anyone want the changes I made, I'll post them.

Thanks,
Erez