[syslinux] Multiple PXE server Issue

FoM - Technology Services management.pc at uleth.ca
Fri Feb 13 11:19:32 PST 2009

We're working on setting up a Citrix environment within our school. In the
end this will work on a special computer lab, and possibly some of the staff
computers. (to deploy OS and applications).

Another group of IT within the school uses Ghost to re-image their labs on a
weekly (or bi-weekly) basis.

And here's the problem.... Ghost is using a PXE server so that the computers
can be booted off the network and easily re-imaged. Citrix provisioning
server requires the use of a PXE server so that the thick\thin clients can
boot off the network directly to the server. But it's standard that the
first PXE server to answer is what the computer gets.

How can we make (2) PXE servers work in the same network?

I understand that you could separate out the subnets, so that (1) PXE server
only answers in that sub-net. But that's only a temporary fix. Once we have
Citrix working, then other labs within the schools network may slowly switch
over to Citrix as well. And both Ghost and Citrix PXE servers will need to
co-habitat.

Is there a way that I could set up an PXELinux box so that it's essentially
a "PXE Re-Director".  For example a user boots up their PC via Network.  It
will then go to the PXELinux server (as pre-setup via the network somehow)
and the user is given an option; (a) Citrix or (b) Ghost.  By choosing one
of these items you will then be taken to that particular PXE server of your
choice and continue on from there.

Josh