[syslinux] COM32 module: Read-Only shell

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 18:08:19 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:06 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> Gene Cumm wrote:
>>
>> Ahh.. I was more refering to the ((void)0) which appears to be a GNU C
>> extension.  Now I'm searching around and having no luck at finding
>> references to why I thought it was a GNU C extension.
>>

> It's not, either.  ((void)0) is in fact valid C90 as well as C99.

Thanks.  Good to know.  Based on that, I'm going to just remove the
#ifdef.  Still, I wish I knew why I came to that conclusion at some
point (I think October is when but why I'm still searching for).  The
only thing that I can think of is that gcc will definitely optimize
the call away but it is a common solution that isn't optimized away in
other compilers.

I did find a piece of code that uses this that definitely didn't depend on gcc.

Searching more on my system here for references, I found a far better
solution in syslinux:extlinux/main.c (line 50 for debug).

--
-Gene

"No one ever says, 'I can't read that ASCII E-mail you sent me.'"