[syslinux] Problems with PXELINUX falling through to localboot on a HP Proliant DL385

Padwa, Daniel daniel.padwa at gs.com
Sun Feb 22 20:26:22 PST 2009

I'm having problems with PXELINUX passing through to a "localboot" on a
HP Proliant DL385.   I'm working with 3.73.

If I configure PXELINUX to directly "localboot", everything works.   If
I configure PXELINUX to use menu.c32 or anything like that, a subsequent
localboot fails.   I see the expected "PXE ROM exiting" message but the
next device doesn't kick in.

GPXE seems to have the same problem.

I tested the latest HP firmware, with no luck.

This appears to have been hit before - there was a patch posted about a
year ago that seems to work for me (you can see it at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/syslinux/users/9475?do=post_view_t
hreaded#9475 ).

Is there a preferred workaround, or is the referenced patch the best way
to go?   Does it have a chance of making the cut for 3.74?

Thanks in advance

-          Daniel Padwa, daniel.padwa at gs.com