[syslinux] [gpxelinux] How to use sanboot.c32 to attach a iscsi lun and then boot from CD

Bart van den Oetelaar oetelaar24 at zonnet.nl
Wed Feb 25 11:46:26 PST 2009

Hi,

I've been trying a couple of day now, but I can't seem to figure it out.
On www.etherboot.org, I found the example of configuring gPXE so that
it mounts an iSCSI lun and then boot from CDROM so you are able to
install on the LUN. But if I use gpxelinux.0 (latest release 3.73),
with sanboot.c32 like this:

label sanboot2008srv
	menu label ^[iscsi] Windows server 2008
	kernel sanboot.c32
	append iscsi:server.name::::iqn.2009-02.name.server:LUNNAME

Then I seen that the LUN get's attached:

Registered as BIOS drive 0x80
Booting from BIOS drive 0x89
Boot failed
Preserving connection to SAN disk
Could not boot from
iscsi:server.name::::iqn.2009-02.name.server:LUNNAME: Operation
cancelled (0x0b8080a0) SAN boot failed.
boot:

And then i am getting sent back to my pxelinux config menu... If i then
try to boot of the local disk, gPXE closes, says no more network
locations to boot from, then the PXE exits, and then the machine
crashes and reboots.

(I wanted to test this so I use VMware workstation and VMware Server
2.0, but neither work...)

Is this scenario valid what I'm trying to do? Is it possible to boot
from CD after gPXE?

I'd like to get this working, it really seems like a great combination!

Kind regards,

-Bart