[syslinux] [gpxelinux] How to use sanboot.c32 to attach a iscsi lun and then boot from CD

Michael Reichenbach michael_reichenbach at freenet.de
Wed Feb 25 14:54:18 PST 2009

Bart van den Oetelaar schrieb:
> Is this scenario valid what I'm trying to do? Is it possible to boot
> from CD after gPXE?

syslinux or pxelinux has not the ability to chainboot cd after BIOS (or
gpxe) has booted harddisk or lan.

No idea about iSCSI and how mounting has harddisk will work. It provides
a BIOS service? Does it provide a faked controller (I doubt it)? However...

Sometime ago I looked into gpxe, it's a open source firmeware to replace
proprietary/buggy boot rom's. You can use it to boot from pxe (LAN).

You can use gpxe to boot grub4dos, see
http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/pxe.htm

>From grub4dos you have the ability to boot CD-ROM, see
http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/boot.htm#cd As long you are in
real mode everything should be fine, but it's up to the operating system
to arrange with the network.

For example gpxe + grub4dos + floppy/iso image with freedos and
netbootdisk.com over lan booting works great. As long you are in real
mode everything is fine, but in other modes you are on your own.

regards,
-mr