[syslinux] chainboot from grub to syslinux in logical partition

Cynthia Flynn 1cynthia2flynn3 at telus.net
Wed Feb 25 18:59:09 PST 2009

For reasons I won't get into, I need to use grub (not grub4dos, super
grub, or any other variant) as multiboot loader on a USB thumb drive,
but I also need some of the partitions to contain bootable content from
syslinux-based ISOs. All of these syslinux partitions must be logical
rather than primary partitions and they will not be the first partition
on the drive. Porting the syslinux configuration menus to grub is not
possible nor desirable in some cases (think Ultimate Boot CD as one
example).

What I was hoping to do was retain the existing syslinux configurations
as is and simply chainboot from grub to syslinux the same way I do to
pass boot control from grub to the FreeBSD boot loader.

My thinking is that this would be possible if I could get syslinux or
some other utility to write a proper volume boot record to the logical
partition's boot sector without altering the thumb drive's master boot
record. I think that when syslinux installs are done that ldlinux.bss
and ldlinux.sys are patched according to drive/partition-specific
attributes and ldlinux.bss is then written to the boot sector, right?

But, in Windows XP it is not normally possible for syslinux.exe to even
see anything but the first partition on a thumb drive. Moreover,
syslinux.exe would overwrite my MBR. And is it even capable of writing a
VBR to a logical partition anyway?

I know there's a tool called makebootfat, but it isn't clear to me that
it can be made to leave my MBR alone either and I don't think I can
point it at my logical partition either.

So, is there a way to produce and install the correctly patched
ldlinux.bss and ldlinux.sys files appropriate to the destination logical
partition such that its VBR can be directly and successfully chainbooted
from grub?

Cynthia