[syslinux] [gpxelinux] How to use sanboot.c32 to attach a iscsi lun and then boot from CD

Bart van den Oetelaar oetelaar24 at zonnet.nl
Thu Feb 26 00:07:29 PST 2009

Citeren Kevin Landreth <crackerjackmack at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Michael Reichenbach <
> michael_reichenbach at freenet.de> wrote:
>
>> Bart van den Oetelaar schrieb:
>> > Is this scenario valid what I'm trying to do? Is it possible to boot
>> > from CD after gPXE?
>>
>> syslinux or pxelinux has not the ability to chainboot cd after BIOS (or
>> gpxe) has booted harddisk or lan.
>>
>> No idea about iSCSI and how mounting has harddisk will work. It provides
>> a BIOS service? Does it provide a faked controller (I doubt it)? However...
>>
>> Sometime ago I looked into gpxe, it's a open source firmeware to replace
>> proprietary/buggy boot rom's. You can use it to boot from pxe (LAN).
>>
>> You can use gpxe to boot grub4dos, see
>> http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/pxe.htm
>>
>> From grub4dos you have the ability to boot CD-ROM, see
>> http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/boot.htm#cd As long you are in
>> real mode everything should be fine, but it's up to the operating system
>> to arrange with the network.
>>
>> For example gpxe + grub4dos + floppy/iso image with freedos and
>> netbootdisk.com over lan booting works great. As long you are in real
>> mode everything is fine, but in other modes you are on your own.
>>
>> regards,
>> -mr
>>

> gPXE from freedos is a great idea.
> http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Sanboot.c32 says it requires
> gPXELinux.0 so...looks like it would be the only option as to booting from
> CD.
>
> Have you tried just chainloading gPXE using the bin/undionly.kpxe image to
> san boot?  sanboot.c32 is, for the most part, untested.  "It should work" as
> the saying goes.  but you never know...
>
> --
> Kevin Landreth

Haven't tried that yet, will do. However with assistance from Michael
Brown, I got a windows 2008 installation to boot from iscsi using
gpxelinux and sanboot.c32. However, during boot, after a while, it
BSOD's, I think it can't find it's bootdrive any more then.
I've tried fixing that using keeppxe in the config, but then sanboot
wouldn't work anymore..

iSCSI works in the OS itself, so that is not really the problem. I'm
also still puzzled on how the OS should pick the iSCSI lun from the
BIOS/gpxe after the kernel initializes??

ps: I'll also post a few messages from Michael Brown and me which
accidentally where left out from the maillist.

-Bart