[syslinux] chainboot from grub to syslinux in logical partition

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Thu Feb 26 03:48:10 PST 2009

Cynthia Flynn <1cynthia2flynn3 at telus.net> writes:

> My thinking is that this would be possible if I could get syslinux
> or some other utility to write a proper volume boot record to the
> logical partition's boot sector without altering the thumb drive's
> master boot record.

This is exactly what the syslinux installer does under Linux.  Are you
sure it's different under Windows?  (Warning: I never used syslinux
under Windows.  I havn't been using Windows for several years.  I've
never used syslinux to boot from a logical partition.)

> I think that when syslinux installs are done that ldlinux.bss and
> ldlinux.sys are patched according to drive/partition-specific
> attributes and ldlinux.bss is then written to the boot sector,
> right?

Yes, as far as I know.

> But, in Windows XP it is not normally possible for syslinux.exe to
> even see anything but the first partition on a thumb drive.

Not even with administrator privileges?

> Moreover, syslinux.exe would overwrite my MBR. And is it even
> capable of writing a VBR to a logical partition anyway?

>From http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX:

  These are only in the Windows version:
    -m  Mbr; install a bootable MBR sector to the beginning of the drive.

So just don't use this option...
Feri.