[syslinux] [gpxelinux] How to use sanboot.c32 to attach a iscsi lun and then boot from CD

Bart van den Oetelaar oetelaar24 at zonnet.nl
Thu Feb 26 13:34:09 PST 2009

> sanboot.c32 should work on top of pxelinux.0 if it is running on top of
> gPXE.
>
> If you want to, say, have a menu running in ISOLINUX, you can use it to
> launch a lkrn build of gPXE.  Currently, you have to embed a script into
> the image which contains the root path, but that is going to change very
> soon and gPXE is going to simply be able to take a command using the
> normal append mechanism.

But, shouldn't the PXE stack give control back to the BIOS and then the
BIOS not continue to try other boot devices?
That seems to go wrong when i use sanboot.c32 to attempt a iSCSI boot,
when it then exits the PXE stack, the whole machine just crashes due to
a kernel error. (At least, that's what VMWare workstation says...

Any idea on the BSOD btw? I read on the etherboot wiki that no driver
would be necessary, but now it just crashes on boot, a 0x0000007b
bluescreen, almost certainly referring to 'cannot find boot device'.

-Bart