[syslinux] chainboot from grub to syslinux in logical partition

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Feb 27 05:25:06 PST 2009

Cynthia Flynn wrote:

> So, is there some fundamental reason why grub should not be able to
> chainload a logical partition with a proper syslinux VBR and ldlinux.sys
> or am I still missing something in my procedure? Perhaps syslinux does
> not in fact write a proper VBR in a logical partition?

There is a bug in quite a few versions of Grub when it comes to
chainloading logical partitions: it passes bogus partition informations
to the chainloaded boot sector.  That's most likely what you are running
into.

As far as "Boot error" being uninformative... well; it's really hard to
squeeze more information into the boot sector.