[syslinux] Password bypass

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 05:54:40 PST 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 4:28 AM, Pierre <pierre.canal at laposte.net> wrote:
> Jeff Sadowski a écrit :
>> Why would you have a default to something that requires a password and
>> have a time out?
>> In this case you probably don't want a time out because there would
>> have to be interaction anyways.
>> Just a note: You could always wipe the bios and boot off another
>> device and bypass syslinux on your disk unless the computer is locked
>> in another room. (like clearcube)
>
> I understand, i must add a line with locale boot (default)
> And my maintenance menu, wlll be protected
> That's ok.
>
> I just find very strange, that a menu password protected, can be bypass !

My guess is that if there is a timeout and a default, the assumption
is that "The show must go on".  If you've set a default and a timeout,
it will ignore any other options that may prevent it from booting.

(vesa)menu.c32 ignore the regular "DEFAULT" directive if the "MENU
DEFAULT" directive is set for the current menu.  However, syslinux
also allows you the "ONTIMEOUT" directive, an entry to boot upon
timeout.  This allows you to select an entry as the highlighted entry
("DEFAULT") but fail over to a different entry after the timeout
period.  I've just tested this and this is how it acts.

--
-Gene

"No one ever says, 'I can't read that ASCII E-mail you sent me.'"