[syslinux] COMBOOT API: Add calls for directory functions; Implement for FAT

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 05:01:32 PST 2009

2008/12/5 Jernej Simončič <jernej.listsonly at ena.si>:
> On Thursday, December 4, 2008, 23:37:55, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
>> It doesn't, and -- this is the really sucky part -- in general it really
>> can't.  However, we can probably hack up something that is Good
>> Enough[TM], basically by inverting the first field mapping in the
>> codepage array and returning '?' or some such for anything we don't
>> recognize -- I think there is actually a particular character specced in
>> the FAT specification (probably '?', but it might be '_').
>
> IIRC, Win9x used _ when it encountered filenames with characters
> outside the active codepage (and wouldn't let you access these files,
> unless you "repaired" the volume with scandisk, which destroyed the
> filenames).

Finally decided to try searching again and found this site:
http://neworder.box.sk/newsread.php?newsid=3305
If we wish to believe it, then it is possible to have a short filename
containing characters Win95 can't/won't deal with that are always
replaced with a '_'.  It is also mentioned at
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/18.06.html again not a definitive
source.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/120138 and
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154997/EN-US/ might give more info
also.

I'm going to try to create some "funny" filenames in a Windows 95 VM I
just built to test.

-Gene